Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mixed Media

I did a mixed media painting made out of an old map, gloss medium, and acrylic paint. First, I cut out a section of the map and taped it down to a board. I then applied a gloss medium with a palette knife and let it dry. After it dried i rubbed a mix of white and turquoise acrylic paint into the medium. After this, I painted my designs. Because the map was of South America, it made me think of the turmoil and religion associated with the continent. The dove can symbolize peace as well as religion. The ribbons are made in the different colors of the countries of South Americas, all reaching for the dove, or flowing away from the dove. Many of the countries in South America are known for being very religious, so the dove can be a common hope that holds these countries together through their poverty and strife. However, some countries are known for their extreme corruption and drug crime. I think my project can be interpreted many different ways, and I'll leave it up to the viewer to see whatever they want to in this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment