Thursday, March 3, 2011

Afghan Girl

This piece is a realistic acrylic painting done on a canvas board. My subject is the girl from the famous National Geographic picture taken in the 1980's. The subject is a twelve-year-old girl living on a refugee camp in Afghanistan. The thing that drew me to paint this photograph was the girls eyes. They had a very unique color and definitely popped. I also liked the contrast of the green in her eyes and the background and the red-ish brown of her cloak. I gave my own little twist to the piece by brightening the colors to make them more vibrant. I think its a little darker than the actual version of the picture. I also was a little off with the proportions of her mouth, but i think all in all she turned out ok. My favorite part about doing this project was working on her hair and eyes. I liked using texture for both. I hopefully created a realistic piece that is just as moving as the original picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment